Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 11, Last Day

Today was my last day working at the Kearsarge Elementary School in New London. I got to the office in the morning and a young girl came in for her usual appointment, and we played a game where we move small stones into different areas on a board and whoever has the most stones on their side wins, of course, she won. She told me how difficult it was for her with her parents getting a divorce and it is all new for her. I told her it was hard for me in the beginning too but it does get easier.
After that a young boy came in for his appointment and he brought a friend to play a game. All three of us played a game involving decimals that they were playing up in their classroom but they could not stop playing because it was so much fun. Then a couple students from 3rd grade came in for their "Mega Math" class and they were working on addition with baseball stats. I have worked with this class once before but still got plenty of hugs from all the kids.
Then it was time for lunch but since today is Tuesday, the office was only open for kids to have lunch if they have parents who are divorced. Every grade came in and my last class I got to eat lunch with was the 2nd graders. I got let out early because the only thing left to do was a guidance class and they were doing careers.
I left Mrs. Theroux with a gift I got for her and the students who go in her office. It was sad to leave the school because I learned so much; I learned that all children just want to be listened to (even if what they are telling you are whacky stories), I learned that being a guidance counselor is something that I might want to do as a profession, and I learned that being a guidance counselor, although can be a hectic job, is also a rewarding job. I cannot thank Peg Theroux enough for allowing me to help her these past few weeks and I cannot thank Proctor enough for allowing me to do this, it was an experience I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment