Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 7, On My Own

Today I was able to stay in Ms. Theroux's office while she went to observe a student and his behaviors. I was able to talk to students during their appointments, but out of three students who had morning sessions, only one came. I talked to him about what was going on at school and then he taught me a game (which of course he won). After that, it was time for kids to start pouring in for lunch, but on Tuesdays, only kids who have divorced parents can come into her office. She got a new book about a little bird whose parents recently were "not singing the same song," and had to get "two different nests." It was interesting to hear the kid's perspectives on how different their lives were once their parents separated. It was easy for me to relate because my parents are also divorced so more kids felt like they could talk to me.
After that, it was time for another guidance class. We talked about conversational skills and what kids can do to talk to other students they may have never talked to before. Then we continued on our lesson with different point of views and told all the kids to draw a picture with only three circles and three squares. There were not many drawings that were similar (of course a couple kids drew trains, trucks, and spongebobs) but it was interesting to have all the kids look at each others drawings and talk about what they saw in the drawings. One girl pulled me over so that I could see that she was drawing a truck and she even drew me driving it and she gave it to me at the end of class.
At the end of the day, I got to see Ms. Theroux help three girls through their friendship issues they have had. It was helpful to see what an actual guidance counselor does to help kids. I learned a lot about the type of advice to give and what to do when others are talking over whoever is speaking first. It has been nice to see more and more counseling sessions and they have been very helpful for me to see if I could be a counselor.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job, Dayton. I think you would make a great counselor.

    ReplyDelete