Sunday, May 16, 2010

Weekly Reflection

I am astonished at everything that I have gotten to participate in this week with Ms. Theroux. This week at the elementary school was more hectic than a week at Proctor; with the NECAPs (the standardized tests), the 5th grade leadership conference, and just looking after smaller kids during recess was a lot of work. Everyday I was more and more exhausted but I also learned more about each kid that I saw.

I am so excited to know that I have made a slight difference in these kids lives just by listening to them. I have a new nickname (Ms. D) and I get hugs left and right when I come in the building. I learned that every child just wants someone to listen, even if they are telling you a story or telling you what is going on at home, they just want you to look them in the eye and really listen to what they have to say. Next week I am working with older kids with friend issues (focusing mainly of girls I believe) and I am excited to do that because I went to an all girls school so I know all about the “girl issues.”

Although I am beyond exhausted every day, it is so rewarding to see them outside the classroom to get hugs and my nickname hollered across the hallways. It’s been a great first week and I am so excited for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment