Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 3, Leadership

5/12/10, worked from 8:10 a.m. to 2:15 p.m., written on 5/12 at 6 p.m.

Today was my third day and it was the second day of standardized testing for the 4th graders. While many of the 4th grade students took the test, I got to hang out with the same young boy from yesterday. We worked on more addition and subtraction, but I also helped him with some word exercises. After 30 minutes of non - stop work, I read a Curious George book to him in the library. It was fun to learn more about this young boy and to form more connections.
After the tests were done, I went to show the young boy's teacher what we had completed while she was monitoring the test, and I was shocked to hear all these students calling me "Ms. D!" I loved having all the students remembering me but to also have a nickname just made my day. Whenever I walk down the halls, I always hear young students yelling, "Hi Ms. D!" and it makes my day.
After a hectic morning of testing, it was time for Ms. Theroux, the 5th grade students in the leadership program, and me to go to the leadership meeting in Bradford. The students got a tour of the school and then we all met with the principle and the guidance counselor at the school. The students had an opportunity to voice their opinions about the leadership program as a whole and then it was time for a group activity. We all went outside and held hands in a circle. Then, a hula hoop was put in between us and we all had to pass the hula hoop around the circle by passing through it with our bodies. Then we added another hula hoop and while it was difficult we got it around the whole circle in 36 seconds. It was then time for discussion; the students had an opportunity to talk about what they would do if they saw something that was against the rules; I had made up some situations the night before and I was so impressed to hear what these young students had to say. They all sounded so responsible for their age and it was very evident why they were chosen to be in the leadership program.
Before we left, there was time for a quick recess where there were a few incidents due a lack of knowledge of the recess rules at the school, so when we got back we had a quick discussion about what had happened. Overall, it was another good day; I learned a lot about the kids, got a nickname, and although it was tiring and hectic, it was also a lot of fun. I am looking forward to tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. What a great opportunity to interact with all the young students. Glad to hear you're having a great experience. Very good descriptive blogs.

    ReplyDelete