Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day 8, New Experiences and New Lessons

5/20/10, worked from 8:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m., written on 5/20

After being very brain dead yesterday due to having to take an AP exam, today was a breath of fresh air. First, after being rushed due to the 3 miles of construction that I ran into on my way to the school this morning, I had the opportunity of going to middle school with a group of 5th graders. I had never seen the school and it seemed like all the kids were nervous to see it for the first time, they were very tense and did not talk much on the bus. After meeting the assistant principal, the kids got a tour of the school and of course being considered an adult I got to go too. I was amazed to see the kids get less tense as we saw more of the school and when we met more teachers. I was also amazed to see all the rooms! There were two band rooms, a wood shop, a technology lab, and it was great to see all the kids get excited for middle school.
When we got back, I helped look after kindergarteners during their recess. I helped a group of boys figure out their soccer teams and got to be the referee for their game. Then I went in for a quick and hectic lunch with a group of all boys that come in every Thursday with a friend that has a session. After that, I went to look after the afternoon kindergarten recess and I met two girls that are considered the "tomboys" of the class. The teacher proctor told me, "Watch those two girls, and don’t let the dresses fool you!" Of course they were so excited to see a new face and asked me if I could walk them back to their class. I went behind their class and they came back to hold both of my hands as I walked them back to their classroom. The proctor smiled as we walked by and was surprised to see the two tomboys holding hands at all.
Then it was time to meet Ms. Theroux at the Special Education rooms for a meeting. I was so excited to see the group of teachers talk about what was going to be happening over the summer for the students who need more help with their schoolwork. I loved going to a real staff meeting and seeing what happens when all of them meet. It was a great experience and they even included me in parts of the meeting.
Then I had to type up another list for Ms. Theroux that included all the names of the people moving up to the third grade. Then a little boy came and knocked on the door in tears. I told him that Ms. Theroux wasn't here but I could talk to him. He came in and started telling me about what happened on the playground and what is happening at home. He really wanted to talk to Ms. Theroux but I thought it would help to have him just say everything he needed to say. I finished typing up the list and brought the computer to Ms. Theroux at her second meeting. She let me go early because it was such a beautiful day and because she had more meetings to go to. I cannot believe these two weeks have gone by so quickly and now that I am making more connections with these kids, I am realizing it is going to be hard to leave next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment